Running an online business is a great way to earn a profit. However, you need more than just a good business idea and a website if you want to succeed. After all, there are 1.94 billion websites on the internet and it’s easy to get lost in the pile. If you want to take your online business to the next level, you need to have a good website.
Your online presence can say a lot about your company. That’s why it’s important to work on making your website as successful as possible.
Luckily, there are some tips you can follow to ensure your website and your online business achieve success.
Choose the right hosting
The first step in building a successful website is choosing a domain name and a good web hosting provider. It might seem like a hard choice at first as there are a lot of options to go with. However, not all hosting providers offer the same types of services.
There are a few things you need to take into consideration before making your choice.
- Price vs. value. Prices of hosting can vary significantly depending on the provider. It’s important to remember that a high price doesn’t necessarily mean high value and vice versa. There are some options, such as Bluehost, which come at a relatively low price and high value.
- Features. The features you will need, depend on the type of website you are building. If you have something simple in mind, you don’t need to worry about features too much. But if you’re planning on building a website that will require a lot of different features, make sure to check if the hosting plan has everything you might need.
- Speed. Will your hosting plan support a fast-loading website? If the answer is no, you probably shouldn’t even bother with it. Slow-running websites will ruin your business more than you might think, so always have speed in mind.
- Support. Unfortunately, unexpected things can happen and websites can crash. That is why it’s important to have a good support team that can help solve any issues you might have.
Have a well-designed website
You can’t expect your website to be successful if it’s not well-designed. Customers need to see you’re a trustworthy business, and the best way to emphasize that point is through a professional website.
Some of the most important things your website needs to have in order to be successful include:
- Simple navigation. There’s no need to confuse your visitors with too many pages and choices. If the website is too hard to navigate, they will get overwhelmed and leave it. Keep everything simple and straightforward, and there shouldn’t be any issues.
- An attractive homepage. You’re not supposed to say everything you have to say on the front page, but you still need to intrigue visitors enough to explore deeper. Just display the most important information in a stylish and professional way.
- Quality visuals and copy. Carefully chosen visuals and well-written copy are paramount for a website’s success. The images and videos you use should be high-quality, while the copy should be concise and engaging.
In the event that you’re not sure to get a well-designed website by yourselves, getting a theme will be an ideal choice.
Optimize for search engines
As we’ve already mentioned, there are a lot of websites currently on the internet, and everyone is fighting to get noticed. If you want your website to generate a lot of visits, you need to reach a high-ranking position on Google. And if you want to accomplish that, you need to optimize for search engines.
Search engine optimization is important if you want your website to be considered worthy of a high-ranking position by Google. If you implement good SEO practices, you can expect great results.
Some of the best SEO practices you can implement are:
- Optimize for voice search. According to statistics, by 2020, 50% of all searches will be voice searches. If your website isn’t optimized for this option, it will lose a lot of potential traffic.
- Improve user experience. The more time a user spends on your website, Google ranks it higher on its list. This is because search engines want to display websites that users find useful and interesting more prominently.
- Build a variety of backlinks. Backlinks are among the most important SEO tools you can use. Google uses the links you implement and it’s quality to determine the importance of your website.
- Make your content easy to read. Write short paragraphs, sub-paragraphs, and most importantly, quality content. This will improve user experience and by extension, search engine optimization.
- Add descriptions to your images and videos. Google doesn’t recognize images, but it can read the text. If you add carefully-chosen words into the description of your visuals, search engines will place your website on a higher-ranking position.
There is much more to a successful website than just its design. And there are some strategies you can try out in order to bring more people to your website.
One of them is email marketing. If you’re unfamiliar with email marketing, this marketing channel uses emails to promote products and develop a stable relationship with your customers.
Don’t confuse email marketing with spam emails. Spam is unwanted and often irritating mail, while email marketing is used by businesses to keep their customers informed. The emails you send are specially-tailored to appeal to the recipient.
The first step is building an email list. One of the most effective ways to do this is through outreach email. However, instead of manually sending out a large number of emails, you can use an outreach automation tool like Gmass. After you have your list, you can start sending out emails.
Some things you should keep in mind when running an email campaign are:
- Personalization. Since email marketing is used to create a relationship with customers, there’s no better way to do this than by personalizing the emails you send. You can do this by adding the customer’s full name as well as the sender’s name to emphasize this is a conversation between two people.
- Don’t just send out promotions. Nobody wants to receive daily emails telling them to buy something. While it’s alright to send out promotions from time to time, make sure to send other things as well. This can be valuable information, tips and insights your customers can value, as well as coupons and special offers
- Show your appreciation to customers. Even though nobody was obligated to sign up for your email list, some people did. It would be great if you showed your appreciation to them with a small gesture. Thank you emails, coupons, and special discounts go a long way in creating customer loyalty, which is one of the main factors of running a successful business.
Social media marketing
Another form of online marketing you should try out is social media marketing. Millions of people all over the world use social media platforms every day. If you create a page for your website and business, you can reach a much wider audience.
You can use social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to communicate with your customers on a personal level. Give interesting and useful information, and reply to comments. You can also reward your most loyal fans and followers with exclusive offers or rewards.
Another advantage of social media is the option to allow customers to leave reviews. Any feedback from customers, good or bad, is important for your success. Make sure to reply to every review, thank those who are satisfied, and try to fix any issues for those who aren’t.
If your social media pages are successful, fans can also share them with their friends and help you reach more people. Your audience’s liking and sharing is a great way for you to reach a wider audience without actually doing anything yourself. If you have quality products, interesting social media pages, and a well-designed website, you will have a very high chance of succeeding.
Achieving success as an online business is no easy task. With so much competition, you can hardly expect to build a brand without putting a lot of effort into your website and marketing campaign.
By following the steps listed above, you will always be on the right track. Just be patient and always analyze your results and competitors so you can see what works well and what you can improve.